cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS - planning for NFS archives, how to determine events/second

cdeeds
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to setup an NFS server to send the MARS archives to. I have a MARS 100e and I need to keep the archives for up to one year, so I plan on keeping the archives on the NFS server for at least two or three months before backing them up to tape. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how much disk space I will need on my NFS server to accomplish this.

I read that "when planning for space requirements, use the following guidance: Estimate 6 GB of storage space for one year's worth of data, received at a sustained 10 events/second. This estimate assumes an average of 200 Bytes/event and a compression factor of 10, both realistic mean values." from the MARS 4.2.x Install and Setup Guide, but I'm having trouble figuring out what my average events/sec are currently so that I will know how much disk space I will need on the NFS server.

I noticed that there's a /pnarchive mount point on the controller that has 29G allocated to it, so I was wondering if that is a good guideline for determining the drivespace needed for my NFS server. Is that a good determination?

If anyone has any advice or tips regarding this, I would be GREATLY appreciative if they would share them.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

For the purposes of the archiving, calculating an average events per second value based on the summary page should be good enough.

Those number are low based on our experience. We have a 100e that processes anywhere from 80-100 million events per day.

90,000,000 events in 24 hours = ~1080 EPS.

We have 5 months of archived data that consumes 381GB.

If 10EPS is supposed to consume 6GB/year, then 1080EPS should consume about 648GB/year. Based on our current usage, I expect that we'll consume more like 914GB.

Disk is cheap. Take and educated guess, then double or triple it;-)

Ah...that makes sense. I checked my Summary page and we've currently got around 44 million events in a 24 hour period, so I'll average it over a few days and then go from there.

You are correct about disk space being cheap, so this shouldn't be a big deal to set this up.

Thanks for the reply and all of the information! :)