Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Microsoft Outlook access Via PIX

Hi,

I have a Mail server on my LAN and it is working fine can receive mails and send mails and all the computers on the LAN can also browse , but thats not why IM writing this letter :), Well jokes apart , I have a situation here.Please let me know UR opinion and suggestions.

The users can access their mails using Outlook Express as it works as fine as POP mail and hence they do get their mails working fine.

But when they use Microsoft Outlook as their mail agent as they have lot of Addressess in the Global address book , now the problem is when in the Microsoft Outlook>Properties,

I put the Mail server LIVE IP address in place of the Exchange server name and try to resolve

a mailbox name for me,it says cannot resolve name.

I wold like to get this done as in this case the users will be able to access their global address book , else using the OE pop fascility they will not get the Address book.Is this possible at all , and if so How is that possible

please advise.

Thanx !

Tauseef

Tauseef@cadgulf.com

2 REPLIES

Re: Microsoft Outlook access Via PIX

In order to have the outlook/exchange functionality, you must have successful name resolution via WINS (assuming we are talking about Windows NT and Exchange 5.5 or earlier) If your mail server is in the DMZ of your PIX, I would consider moving it to the inside network. Otherwise you will have to allow NetBIOS-ns from your DMZ to the inside network. I do not recommend doing so, big security risk. I have found it to be much safer, and easier to keep exchange servers on the internal network.

If the exchange server is on the internal network, then you have WINS problems.

If we are talking about Exchange 2000, I guess it could be a DNS issue.

Re: Microsoft Outlook access Via PIX

To test if it is a resolutio issue you could specify the NetBIOS name and FQDN of the mail server in a the client's hosts file. Then configure the client using the NetBIOS name or the FQDN instead of the IP

Be sure to remove the .sam extention of the hosts file. and add the following line:

123.123.123.123 mailserver01

123.123.123.123 mail.company.com

That has worked for me in the past.

Views
Helpful
Replies