Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft VPN over Cisco 1720

I have a Frac T-1 with a Cisco 1720 Router. My ISP configured the router for me since it is much more sophisticated than a Linksys router. Here's the deal. I know how to create a VPN through a Linksys router no problem. However, I'm having problems getting the VPN to work through my Cisco router. I need to use PPTP from outside my network to connect to my Win2K Server running Remote Access Server. I've forwarded ports 6, 1023, and 1723 to my VPN server, but my requests are not being forwarded. What am I missing?

Here are the Static NAT's (x's are external IP):

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 1723 x.x.x.x 1723 extendable

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 6 x.x.x.x 6 extendable

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 1023 x.x.x.x 1023 extendable

ip nat inside source static 192.168.0.1 x.x.x.x

3 REPLIES

Re: Microsoft VPN over Cisco 1720

I have the same setup but with a 2621 Router and all I used was your last line listed above. You may have to make sure you are not blocking protocol 47.

Irvin

Do you think the 3 previous lines are causing the problem?

I have set this up a couple of times. And most

often with Firewall Featuresets installed on

the routers. I always had to permit the "gre" tunneling protocol traffic cause the server on the inside seemst to start using this protocol for the pptp tunnel communication and the client must be able to speak back using GRE.Could this be a access-list problem you are having ?

example: access-list 111 permit gre (source) (dest)

GRE comes instead of TCP or IP. GRE(Genetic Routing Protocol) is an old multiprotocl tunneling protocol originated from Cisco. But the MS server seemst to use the same service when answering pptp tunneling requests.

Hope this helps.

regards, Kristjan Edvardsson CCNP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content