Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Migrate Config Pix 6.3(5) to Pix 7.X

I currently run two Pix 525 with Active/Standby based on PixOS 6.3(5).

This week i will probably receive some Pix535 based on PixOS 7.x.

I need to migrate my old configuration from PixOS 6.x config style to the new 7.x config style.

I though about two scenarios on how to solve this.

a) Downgrade 535 to 6.3(5) -> copy config -> upgrade 535 to 7.x.

But what about the license keys? If you're pix never had 6.3 PixOS you don't have the proper license keys installed or backed up. Or can you run Pix 6.x with 7.x keys without any problems?

b) Config the Pix 535 manually with interfaces, login authentication and security level etc. and just copy/paste the old ruleset?

Unfortunatly i have to migrate them really fast after they arrive so any hints on best practice are appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Roble

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Migrate Config Pix 6.3(5) to Pix 7.X

Hi,

Just to let you know that the upgrade is quite simple.

Faced with the same problem as you, all I did was take a copy of the Version 6 configuration, via TFTP. Fired up the Version 7 PIX and TFTP'd the config on to it. Reloaded it, and "hey presto!" New PIX running Version 7 with my config from the Version 6 PIX.

Nice and simple!

Good luck with your upgrade!

Dom

7 REPLIES
Silver

Well, I don't have one in front of me, but I believe you can just copy the current config on to the new PIX. PIX 7.0 should convert the old config sections to the new configuration layout automatically. The following talks about the normal upgrade process FWIW.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00804708d8.shtml#backinfo

-Eric

Bronze

Hi Eric!

If that is true it would fit perfect. Paste the config or copy it to the pix and let it do the conversion at boot time.

Maybe some else has done this before and can comment on this approach. Anyway i will give it a try once i receive the pix'es.

Roble

Couple of ideas

Have you reviewed the following links?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_upgrade_guides09186a0080369ee2.html#wp1810347

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00804708d8.shtml#t6

You can not cut a 6.x config and paste it into 7.x. The config conversion will need to be a manual change. I am not aware of an automated tool.

I downgraded a 7.0.6 PIX 515e to 6.3.5. I started with an unrestricted license (7.x) and finished with an unrestricted license (6.x)

Depending on the complexity of the 6.3 configuration, you can manually convert to 7.x or downgrade the 7.x to 6.3.

Bronze

That i cannot cut&paste the 6.x config to a 7.x config makes sense. But if you copy the old 6.x as startup-config the PixOS might do the same conversion as if you had upgraded it from 6.x to 7.x. That was the let's try it out approach.

Downgrading the Pix'es to 6.x and upgrading it with the old config to 7.x is also an option, but as i wrote i am unsure about the licensing.

But if the Pix 515e you mentioned was a "native" Pix 7.x then i think downgrade -> upgrade should be the fastet way to get the new pix'es up and running.

If nothing works i just do the stuff manual and everything should be fine. I just try to keep my weekend in one piece. :)

I will check out the guides again to see if i missed someting.

Thanks for the reply.

Roble

Hi,

Just to let you know that the upgrade is quite simple.

Faced with the same problem as you, all I did was take a copy of the Version 6 configuration, via TFTP. Fired up the Version 7 PIX and TFTP'd the config on to it. Reloaded it, and "hey presto!" New PIX running Version 7 with my config from the Version 6 PIX.

Nice and simple!

Good luck with your upgrade!

Dom

Bronze

Dominic you made my day!

Received the 535 about 30 mins ago - copy tftp: startup-config -> reload -> done.

That is what i had in mind as well but you confirmed it.

Thanks for the hint.

Roble

Silver

Thanks for confirming this Dominic. I was pretty sure, but hate to state it as fact without testing.

-Eric

Views
Helpful
Replies