cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating CW2000 and VMS 2.2 to a New Server

dblairii
Level 1
Level 1

As the title says, I'm about to change my platform from a single processor 1Gb of memory server (a painfully slow beast) to a Dual Xeon with 6Gb of memory.

I am looking for recommendations from you all as far as a migration strategy. I also require links to any information on that topic (preferrably step-by-step). I would like to avoid having to re-create my filters and settings as much as possible.

I had figured that I could just set up the new server and then 'Import' the sensors from the old one.... Will that be the easiest? Who wants to go first? :)

Thanks in advance,

Don

1 Reply 1

5mlattimore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Don

last time I went through this I imported the sensors as you mentioned and my filters came through-curiously I seemed to lose some random settings...like remote hosts and logging..never did figure out what caused that...

I also had to copy the signature updates into the new servers subdir and then update the MC so it would import the sensor. Otherwise it complained that it couldnt recognize the sensor version.

It was pretty straight-forward.I also ran a backup beforehand just in case.

OH and heres a big one. I did this several times trying to UPGRADE the server by installing 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and learned it was NOT the best way.

The best way is to install 2.2 fresh without overlaying the other versions. This I learned the hard way. Its a lot cleaner and will avoiud some fo the strangeness you might see in the SecMon console if you do the *upgrade* path.

It may have had something to do with the ton of msblaster and nachi worm alarms being sent to the database;-0, but I couldnt get it to work any other way.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: