cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring VPN Concentrator 3000

eric_ortega
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what people are using to monitor a VPN Concentrator 3000. I tried to use the Webtrends Firewall/VPN software, to no avail. If anyone is using something that seems to work well, please respond to this message.

Thanks!

Eric

7 Replies 7

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Hello. Have you tried the built in manager? Just put the ip address of the concentrator in your address space and login in with a correct user name and password. I have found this to be more than satisfactory for my needs.

What I am really looking for is utilization over time along with other usage information. The built in manager is nice for "right now" type information, but in a year when I have to run then/now stats it will be difficult. We use the Webtrends firewall monitor to watch our PIX for the same reasons.

I use MRTG to show traffic in/out and active connections. It show a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly graph.

A very good tool for monitoring network traffic.

How did you get MRTG to monitor active connections?

Thanks.

Right, the things that I am really looking for are things like usage and utilization. I was thinking that a good syslogd parser might be the thing. If anyone knows of a one they like that can produce graphs for management-types, let me know!

Eric

The MIB definition in SNMP_Util

# vpn sessions modified by uem 1.4.2001

'activesessions' => '1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.17.1.1',

'peaksessions' => '1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.17.1.6',

'lansessions' => '1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.17.1.7',

# vpn sessions modified by uem 3.4.2001

The cfg file:

MaxBytes[_]: 1500

YLegend[_]: # sessions

ShortLegend[_]: sessions

Options[_]: growright, nopercent, gauge, unknaszero

LegendO[_]:  peak:

LegendI[_]:  active:

Legend1[_]: #active sessions

Legend2[_]: #peak sessions

Target[VPNBOX.1]: activesessions.0&peaksessions.0:COMMUNITY@VPNBOX

Title[VPNBOX.1]: VPNBOX : Active/Peak Sessions

PageTop[VPNBOX.1]:

Active Sessions on VPNBOX

#---------------------------------------------------------------

Target[VPNBOX.2]: lansessions.0&peaksessions.0:COMMUNITY@VPNBOX

Title[VPNBOX.2]: VPNBOX : LAN-TO-LAN/Peak Sessions VPNBOX

PageTop[VPNBOX.2]:

LAN-TO-LAN Sessions on VPNBOX

matigil
Level 1
Level 1

We were using Cisco Works VMS1.0 but it has a great limitation: you just can log 7 days of activity. I don't know about VMS2.0 which is now available. Now, we are making statistics, graphics... polling IPSec MIB values from HPOV.

Mati

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: