Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

More Pix 501 license clarification

The per user licensing says DHCP client is 32 IP's and concurrent connections at 10.

Is using the Pix 501 (10 user lic) for DHCP a requirement?

If yes, can I use a windows server and the DHCP relay for DHCP to meet the requirement?

I have a windows 2003 server inside, and a printer with a static IP's. Do all the inside clients need to be DHCP assigned? How do I handle static IP assignment on a per IP basis or is a long lease time my only option?

Thanks for clarifications. Please also forgive me if this is in an FAQ somewhere. I'm a Cisco newbie and I'm learning where to find Cisco info.

Thanks

Scott

3 REPLIES

Re: More Pix 501 license clarification

The PIX will just let pass 10 concurrent connections from the inside to the outside network (Internet). After that you will see some notification messages that you have exeeded the 10 users license but I do not think it will block.

If you want to have more than 32 hosts in the inside network that are using DHCP, you do not need to use DHCP, use a Windows DHCP server as the PIX one is limited to 32. You can also use static IPs.

hope it is a little bit more clear ?

sincerely

Patrick

User Licenses

Cisco PIX 501 Security Appliances, a popular security solution for Small Office/Home Office network environments, support User Licenses. This license controls how many internal users (located on the inside network of a Cisco PIX Security Appliance) that can concurrently access the Internet, or other resources through the outside interface of the appliance. Supported license levels include: 10 users, 50 users, and unlimited users. Cisco Systems provides three different pre-configured bundles of the Cisco PIX 501 Security Appliance, making it easy for businesses to purchase an appliance with the appropriate User License installed. Businesses can upgrade from one User License level to another, as their needs grow, by purchasing the appropriate User License upgrade part number.

See:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.html

Thanks Patrick.

That clears it up for me. DHCP is not involved in counting licenses.

I only have 3 users in the remote office so I'm confident I'll have less than 10 IP's.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content