cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS-Capable Hardware

notuteye
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a handle on MPLS network design. Somewhere in the CCO technical documentation pages it is said that PE routers consist of:

Software - Cisco IOSĀ® Software Release 12.1(3)T(Release 12.0(5)T includes the MPLS VPN.)

Hardware - Any Cisco router from the 3600 series or higher, such as the Cisco 3660 or 7206.

What I would like to know, if anybody out there can help me, is this :- What is required for an MPLS backbone router? The same web-page implies that the backbone routers need to be ATM-enabled...is this necessary? Could I use a similar hardware platform as a backbone router (P-router) that I use for a PE-router?

3 Replies 3

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Can you please post the URL to the documentation you are referencing?

dyobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, the design for the backbone really depends on your requirements. The routers could be GSRs, 7500s or 7200s for the backbone. It does not necessarily to be ATM-enabled. Basically there are two major kinds of MPLS Implementations. This could be ATM based or Packet based MPLS. ATM based usually deals with BPX and MGX ATM Switches. Packet based deals on routers. You could use a similar hardware platform that you have as long as it supports MPLS. A 7200 could be used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: