cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MS-Exchange and PIX 515

caleb
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find any techincal documents on how to make Exchange 5.5 work behind a PIX 515. I have found a few things liek how to make 2 exchange servers talk to each other, but not how to make it work in general. Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Please be more specific. When you say "work" behind a 515 what do you mean? You will have to open port 25 for smtp of course and depending on what else you are going to do other ports will have to be opened up as well. A lot depends on how you set it up as well. Need more info to help ya'

ontrack
Level 1
Level 1

In order to get Exchange to send and recieve email through a PIX you need to disable fixup on smtp.

orndorfffo
Level 1
Level 1

labinski
Level 1
Level 1

there are some documents in the ms knowledge base.

i.e. Q148732 / Q270836. (serach for : exchange firewall port)

i have configured an exchange 5.5 in this way, and it works very well with a pix 515.

Best regards

Thomas

agoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From what I understand smtp mail should go out ok as its more secure to less secure. For incoming I have something like:

access-list email permit tcp any host *ip that mail is sent to after being nat'd through router* eq smtp

access-group email in interface outside

I think this allows email to come from isp level to exchange server on inside.

This seems to work for me. I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me how to change the "any host" to something like "smtpmail.isp.com" to make it more secure.

Also from another question I asked earlier I am told the "no fixup protocol smtp" is needed to work the pix with exchange properly.

cheers

Andy Goodwin

no fixup protocol smtp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card