cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSN Messenger does not work while conected with VPN client

jteixido
Level 1
Level 1

When I connect to my ISP, then I launch my Cisco 3.5.1 VPN client. I connect to my companies network just fine. The problem that I am having is, that once connected to my network I cannot use my MSN messenger. This is a problem for me since my company uses MSN messenger as an internal tool.

I ran a sniffer trace and noticed that MSN messenger looks at my adaptor address that is connected to my ISP and not the IP address that the VPN client gave. Has anyone run into this problem and found a way to fix it?

Thank You,

John…

3 Replies 3

edadios
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The issue with the software is that it is looking for a virtual adapter.

You'll have to wait for version 4 of the client which would have this feature.

If you really need the messenger, maybe use PPTP for now and have it configured on the vpn concentrator.

Regards,

mel.woodley
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not having the same type of problem. I can use my msn messenger before and after I launch my VPN 3.6.2 client the problem I have is keeping it running. It constantly crashes or will go offline but not appear to me that it is offline until i try to use it.

edy-rojas
Level 1
Level 1

OK,

Configure your VPN to work with Split Tunneling, give outbound access to your IM server (may be MS Exchange Server?).

I make this and work. But using Split Tunneling your VPN Client can be an point of vulnerability.

By.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: