Views
Helpful
Replies

MTBFs, No. of Rules and a bit more

vmolinaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Would like to know the following for all the PIX platforms. Can anyone help?

1) MTBF figures,

2) No. of new sessions per second

3) Max No. of Rules

Finally, does Version6.3 support email notification to a pre-defined email address in case of a security alerts and is this configurable to occur at a specific logging level?

Thanks

Vito

10 Replies 10

vmolinaro
Level 1
Level 1

All, applogies for reposting this message. A partial reply to any of the questions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Vito

Answers Inline

1) MTBF figures,

>> Still trying to figure out

2) No. of new sessions per second

>> We will treat this question as max number of connections

PIX515R/UR = 64K/125K

PIX525 = 250K

PIX525 = 280K

PIX535 = 500K

Note: I may not be 100% correct, but you can easily get the number of connections supported on CCO web site.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/fw/sqfw500/index.shtml

3) Max No. of Rules

>> you mean ACLs?

Finally, does Version6.3 support email notification to a pre-defined email address in case of a security alerts and is this configurable to occur at a specific logging level?

>>Nope, there is no such support. but you can get this support from your syslog server.

Thanks

Nadeem

Thanks Nadeem.

Regarding question 3, yeah max no. of ACLs is what I meant.

Thanks

Hi,

Max number of entries for ACL, depends on the amount of RAM you have.

From this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800eb721.html#1034390

The TurboACL feature requires significant amounts of memory and is most appropriate for high-end PIX Firewall models, such as the PIX 525 or PIX 535. The minimum memory required for TurboACL is 2.1 MB and approximately 1 MB of memory is required for every 2000 ACL elements.

Just to give you some idea.

Thanks

Nadeem

Hi Nadeem, Again thanks for looking at this. Unfortunately I don't have access rights to view the above link. I don't have partner access, and just "guest" access. Is this document also available for guest logins?

Vito

Hi,

This site requires a login, but i have cut/paste what was relevant and important for you.

Thanks

Nadeem

Thanks Nadeem,

Where did you cut/paste it too? It wasn't attached to your message.

Vito

Nadeem,

Really sorry to bother you again with this. Can you cut/paste again or send the whole document to me at v-molinaro@gol.com

Thanks mate

Vito

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not 100% again, this just a rough idea

predicted MTBF of 414,600 for the PIX-525.

The MTBF on the 520 was about 60,000 hours

Hi Nadeem,

Any MTBF figure for PIX501, 506, and 515 or 515E ?

Appreciate for any insight info.

Best Regards,

Engel