cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Defaut Routes

dave_j_walsh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 515R with only two interfaces (an internal and an external). I have multiple internal subnets. The PIX manual says that I can use the standard:

route outside 0 0 <internet router address>

to act as a typical default route.

It then says that I can (if I only have two interfaces) use a route inside 0 0 192.168.10.1 to point to my internal router. However, when I go to do this, it give me an error that it can't add route entry. I'd really like to be able to do this so that I don't have to create a bunch of static routes to my internal networks.

Is this some sort of error in the documentation? Maybe I have the syntax wrong:

route inside 0 0 192.168.10.1

Any suggestions are welcome?

Dave

6 Replies 6

mionescu
Level 1
Level 1

How about adding a metric at the end? Does it work?

I think so, but I'm not sure why I'd do this?

nijohansson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The PIX can only be configured with one default route.

Instead of using static routes for the inside you can use RIP. With RIPv2 you have support for subnetmasks and authentication to a nearby router, also it can be configured in passive mode which will make the PIX only to listen for updates not sending any.

BR

/Nils

Thank you very much. I assume then that the documentation is incorrect when it says with a PIX with two interfaces, you can have two default routes (which is bizarre to me anyway).

thanks again.

Hello Dave,

prior to 5.x the PIX could have 2 default routes (we are running PIXes that way). I would guess you have an old manual.

rgds,

- Robert

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

If you have multiple subnets on the inside, what

are their addresses? for example, if you had your inside network at 172.16.0.0, then:

route inside 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 172.16.10.1 1

with 10.1 as the next hop will work.

If you have multiple networks, then you will need to

have a route to each one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: