cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAC appliance (CAS and CAM) pros and cons - any field knowledge to share?

pppyyyppp
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone implement NAC appliance (CAM and CAS) in virtual Gateway OOB mode. VLAN mapping concept is used to map a quarantined VLAN to a trusted VLAN.

Is looping an issue here?

Pls advise the pros and cons of using this as we need more information from the field to gauge the stability and ease of use of this network posture and access control method.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

I'm currently deploying CAS in OOB RGW, just upgraded to v4. Found v3.6 to be ok, a few strange things, some hopefully fixed in v4.

Resources on CCA are a little scarce.

Why are you using VGW rather than RGW ?

Virtual gateway is the preferred method since almost no changes need to be made on the network to implement the CAS.

Can share why are you using router mode instead of bridge/gateway mode? Is your deployment stable? Any common problems to share with the forum?

Thanks

We are planning to deploy ccs as well, using the packages solution, could someone please tell me what would be the safest way to implement the solution(Mode?) since out network is up and running and we would want least disrupption and changes to our network.

I will rate all posts.

Thanks,

Tarun

Not an easy question.

For LAN users I would think OOB rather than IB.

For WAN users it used to be IB but I think L3 OOB in v4 might do the job.

For wireless/vpn users I think IB.

VGW or RGW? You tend to use VGW if you don't want to change existing IPs. This argument is true for IB but not really relevant for OOB because the CAS is only inline during authentication/assesment/remediation, for which you probably don't have VLANs yet. So for OOB I think RGW makes sense.

Hope this helps (at least a bit).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card