Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ovt Bronze
Bronze

NAC Appliance. Does it add any security to the network?

Hi!

I currently don't have the Clean Access in hands, but, so far as I understood, the user can disable required antivirus or enable bittorent (or other prohibited application) at any time and this action will not be noticed by the Clean Access Agent and Clean Access Server. This is because this Cisco "security solution" doesn't support periodic reassessment of clients (neither Agent-initiated nor CAS-initiated).

Is this correct?

(BTW the NAC Framework architecture supports this).

The only option I've found is to periodically clear Certified Device List using timers. But this will end the user session too! Both, good guys (who still meet all our requirements), and bad guys (who now violate our security policy) will have to reauthenticate, because this "feature" doesn't differentiate between them!

Also, this will likely break OOB. It will either bounce the switch port, if port bouncing is enabled, or put the port back into the authentication VLAN with IP address in the access VLAN, which is incorrect for the authentication VLAN (has it been fixed by Cisco?)!

In general, is my understanding correct?

Views
Helpful
Replies