Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Name Resolution on Site-to-site VPN

Recently finnished building a site-to-site between Cisco827 and PIX515E using ADSL. Tunnel is up and I can ping all my servers by IP from remote site that is behind 827. I cannot ping by server name and so can't reach my MS Shared folders as well as Exchange. Help. Posing my 827 config.

4 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Name Resolution on Site-to-site VPN

just wondering the current dns setting at the 827 net. the 515e net dns server needs to be added to the 827 net host either manually or via dhcp server.

I was given DNS by my ADSL provider. But I don't need to use it. I need to use my DNS and WINS from my primary site (behind PIX). The command I would use for 827 is ip name-server 10.254.x.y ? What about WINS ?

Gold

just wondering if the 827 is acting a dhcp server as well. if so,

ip dhcp pool dhcppool

network <827 net> <827 net mask>

default-router <827 private interface ip>

dns-server <515e net dns server>

netbios-name-server <515e net wins server>

Thanks for your response. No on dhcp on 827. I have static private IPs and DNS/WINS entries on W2K clients. This may sound like Microsoft magic, but seems like after a while DNS is working and I am now able to resolve names at the remote sites. Thank you for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content