cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT INSIDE OUTSIDE

baker.m
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone answer this: Isn't IP NAT INSIDE DESTINATION the same as IP NAT OUTSIDE SOURCE? Because basically, if I want to change the destination from the inside, then I am also changing the source from the outside since NAT works both ways.

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco has many examples of two commands doing the same process, don't know the idea behind this.

These are the command usages listed below and they seem the same to me,

IP NAT INSIDE DESTINATION

This command has two forms: dynamic and static address translation. The form with an access list establishes dynamic translation. Packets from addresses that match the standard access list are translated using global addresses allocated from the pool named with the ip nat pool command.

IP NAT OUTSIDE SOURCE

You might have IP addresses that are not legal, officially assigned IP addresses. Perhaps you chose IP addresses that officially belong to another network. The case of an address used illegally and legally is called overlapping. You can use NAT to translate inside addresses that overlap with outside addresses. Use this feature if your IP addresses in the stub network happen to be legitimate IP addresses belonging to another network, and you need to communicate with those hosts or routers.

This command has two forms: dynamic and static address translation. The form with an access list establishes dynamic translation. Packets from addresses that match the standard access list are translated using global addresses allocated from the pool named with the ip nat pool command.