cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice btw choosing 2 routers for a pix 506

rodriguezd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. We have a pix 506e that we use for firewalling and VPN (users access from home) attached to A Hub to an SBS server 2000.

Below is my scenario.

DSL--->Netopia Router--->Cisco Pix506e-->Hubs-->SBS200.

We are in the process of upgrading from a DSL to a T1 internet connection, the T1 provider offers the Cisco 1721 router and my consultant suggested the Cisco 1841. My question is which one is the best according to your experience and my scenario? The T1 provider doesn't carry the 1841. Are there any limitations with the 1721 vs the 1841?? What's the difference BTW the 2 products and which one is best?

Thanks in advance for your excellent support.

Denise

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Denise,

I would use the PIX for VPN termination. The 506e can do 16Mbps of 3DES throughput and 30Mbps of AES throughput so that is clearly the better box for the job, although it does software-based encryption. You can get a VPN hardware encryption module for the 1721 but since you've already got the PIX, why bother ?

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Denise,

The 1841 is the next generation of the 1721. In terms of dollars, the 1721 is slighlty (~15%) cheaper thatn the 1841. However, the real difference is that the 1841 has the capacbility to provide throughput of up to 38Mbps (compared to the 1721's 6Mbps) !! That is a huge difference in itself. The 1841 also supports the newer HWIC cards which the 1721 does not.

So the 1841 is the clear winner. However, looking at your requirements, the 1721 will handle a full T1 just as well as an 1841 so you will not suffer any performance improvements if you go with that.

Paresh

Thanks a lot Paresh, I really appreciate your valuable information. One last question. Should I use the VPN features from the 1721 and use the 506e for firewalling only. Wich VPN features are best? the ones from the 506e or the ones from the 1721? I am currently using the VPN from the 506e to allow users to work from remote. What do you think?

Thanks again

Denise

Hi Denise,

I would use the PIX for VPN termination. The 506e can do 16Mbps of 3DES throughput and 30Mbps of AES throughput so that is clearly the better box for the job, although it does software-based encryption. You can get a VPN hardware encryption module for the 1721 but since you've already got the PIX, why bother ?

Paresh

Paresh,

Thank you for your recommendation.I will follow your advice. Thanks again for your time and valuable information.

Denise

It's a pleasure Denise...

Let us know how you go.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card