Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Need help with Cisco 1720 ADSL and Firewall Options

Please excuse my ignorance as I am only new to all this.

We will be purchasing a CISCO 1720 ADSL.

I am a little unsure of what to order when it comes to the firewall side of things.

Do I have to purchase an optional Package which will then enable me to configure the firewall through ConfigMaker?

If so, does that mean if we did not get this option we have no firewall capabilities?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Need help with Cisco 1720 ADSL and Firewall Options

Such a loaded question.

With basic IP, you can do basic packet filtering.

If you get something like IP/ADSL/Plus/FW, you can do statefull inspection. This is much better. What happens is the router inspects traffic heading out, and dynamically modifies the inbound access list to only allow responses back in.

Go for the IP/ADSL/Plus/FW option. Consider getting some extra DRAM as well, as I suspect future images are going to need more DRAM.

Thanks for your response,

I saw the IP/ADSL/Plus/FW option on a product list and was'nt sure if that was it.

What about if we want to allow users to connect from home through the internet to the office. I presume VPN is the go. Do you happen to know if this too is another add on package? ( We will have static IP etc)

Thanks again

VIP Purple

If you want to VPN, I recommend you get:

IP/ADSL/Plus/FW/IPSec[56/168]

IPSec adds encryption.

Excellent !

Thanks for your help.

A better design would be to have a separate firewall, VPN and internet router. Your issue is this... All packets are going to have to be terminated at the router and doing firewall, vpn and routing will be taxing the router. Upgrading the RAM will help but you would benfit from segmenting this traffic to its own device. Depending on how much traffic will also help this decision. The more connections and traffic inbound and out the more issues you will see with performance. If you are smaller, I still suggest a VPN concentrator (it will make your VPN configurations very easy to manage, the 3005 will do). A small firewall like the PIX 506. Cisco gives you the functionality with the software but sometimes it's not the best idea.

Mmm... Now you got me thinking again....So many options....So expensive....

Views
Helpful
Replies