Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Network Address Translation

I am setting up a Video-conference system with a private IP address and connect to the Internet using NAT.

How can another system from outside initiate a call to my video conference system?

Is a technique called "Port forwarding" useful to this problem? If so please advice me how to do that

1 REPLY

Re: Network Address Translation

The most efficient way to use Video Conferencing is to use ISDN Voice and associate a DID phone number with it that the connecting host can use.

When using Video Conferencing over IP I was told that the connecting host must comply to the same standards that your Video Conferencing suite complies to.

You must then setup a NAT filter associated with the internal adderess of the suite. (I.e. The attaching site uses the external address of your site and the NAT filter converts it to the internal address you have given to the VC Suite)

You must also allow the external connection through your Firewall (if applicable) by allowing the appropriate protocol for the connection in your rule base. If you don't know the protocol it requires get the connecting host to attempt a connection and examine the log viewer for any dropped packets from that location and note down the connecting port/protocol.

You must also ensure the ACLs on the Router allow connections to the VC Suite.

Thanks,

Graham.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content