Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie PIX user- NAT, PAT, both?

moconnor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am test configuring my PIX 515e befre I make my users' lives living hell, and I am not sure do I NAT PAT or both.

I have a internet connection by means of a cable modem that is currently hooked to a Linksys router. I am going to say goodbye to the Linksys and use only the PIX.

So my question is do I need to NAT or PAT from the outside to the inside, and do I need to NAT or PAT from the inside out? To make things more complicated what do I do with my DMZ?

A side not I currently use the linksys to port forward MS remote desktop to an inside workstation, can I still do that?

Thanks for any help anyone has.

Marc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc,

The document that you need is:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/28.html

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further info/help and good luck with CCNA.

Thanks - Jay.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

wferrell
Level 1
Level 1

Marc

Im really worried of your efforts with the PIX. It is not an easy tool to learn and can be destructive if deployed wrong.

please hire a consultant to protect your assets

William Ferrell

IA WAN Eng., CCNP, CISSP

WaizComm-PCNets.net

Will,

I appreciate your concern, but I am currently studying for my CCNA, and trying to learn as many Cisco products as I can. To reassure you, the network it is going on is a complete test network, but i have a few people who are my willing test subjects.

Hi Marc,

The document that you need is:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/28.html

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further info/help and good luck with CCNA.

Thanks - Jay.

Jay,

Thats the document I need. No matter how long I search through the site it seems that I miss the one doc, that tells me what I need.

sgamer
Level 1
Level 1

You'll want to do something similar to:

NAT (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

GLOBAL (outside) 1 interface

This will take any connection on the inside and translate it to the IP address of the outside interface (PAT).

Assuming your cable provider uses DHCP, you'll want to configure your outside address similar to:

ip address outside dhcp setroute retry

"dhcp" obviously gets an address, etc.

"setroute" sets the default route

"retry" by default retry dhcp 4 times and is configurable

As for "port forwarding" I think I've heard that the PIX has that capability but have not tried it. If the outside interface is dependant on dhcp this probably isn't the best way to go. You might want to get some static addresses from your provider. Either way, allowing remote desktop kind of defeats the purpose of the PIX.

Thanks for the direction, after 8 hours of reading I cleared up a lot of my NAT/PAT confusion. Going to keep plugging away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card