Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHRP Shortcut Feature for DMVPN

I'm interested in the new NHRP Shortcut and NHRP Redirect features introduced in IOS 12.4(6)T. I pretty much understand how the NHRP Redirect functionality works, but I'm unsure what the command "ip nhrp shortcut" actually does.

In the document "Shortcut Switching Enhancements for NHRP in DMVPN Networks", all the configuration examples with "ip nhrp redirect" also have "ip nhrp shortcut". Is the shortcut command a first step to allow the NHRP redirects to work? Where should "ip nhrp shortcut" be configured - the hub, the spokes, or both?

Thanks.

-Mason

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: NHRP Shortcut Feature for DMVPN

The shortcut switching enhancements for NHRP provide an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)-like solution that alleviates NBMA network problems, such as hub failure, decreased reliability, and complex configurations. With NHRP, systems attached to an NBMA network dynamically learn the NBMA address of the other systems that are part of that network, allowing these systems to directly communicate without requiring traffic to use an intermediate hop. For more information regarding the configuration refer the following url below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_feature_guide09186a0080641515.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content