cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIDS, HIDS, and bears ohh my...

richard_tufaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hey folks, I had a question on Cisco's IDS offering.

Currently im getting ready to order:

3 IDS 4210's

2 IDS 4235's

VMS 2.1

and a 10 Agent bundle of Cisco's new Security Agent (OEM Okena).

I have a question on the management and rollout of the project.

Now if I buy VMS 2.1 which touts as being a Central Security management solution for PIX, NIDS, and HIDS etc. will the new Okena software be able to interface with VMS? There is an article: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5057/products_data_sheet09186a0080144669.html

Stating that the Okena product SHOULD be assimilated into Cisco by March. The page also states that while they are OEM'ing Okena they (Cisco) are going to throw in the management package that Okena needs to have for FREE.

So what’s the deal? If I go forward with buying VMS 2, AND need to buy the Okena software from Cisco (5K), that seems to me to be a rip. On the other hand if it’s all integrated into VMS that would be sweet.

Another quick question...does anyone know if VMS 2.1 works with IDS 4.0 software?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

That's pretty much what my Cisco rep worked out for me. I just went to VMS 2.1 and was about to buy the Entercept agents when that whole deal went bust. Now I am buying the Okena agents and am getting the Okena management console for free to manage the agents until thatfuntionality is pulled into VMS. I would not bet on a March assimilation though. If I had to guess I would put it more towards very late spring but that is jut a guess.

Man, Cisco screw again. Are you using any of the IDS products that they have running 4.0 software? Reporting back to VMS 2.1? Also did you get Cisco's "CTR" technology? I know that its included with all IDS's for 90day's but does it work?!

Hmm...this freaks me out..seems that according to this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/cscowork/ps3991/products_device_support_table09186a00800e6d21.html

The 4.0 software is not supported in the VMS 2.1 release? Why would i want to buy a managment package that can't manage?

Well, take into account that that article was published in August of last year. While I won't say "never", I don't see Cisco pulling V4 IDS support from VMS. G

Glenn, any comments?

True, and i dont belive that they are NOT going to support it in VMS...but have you seen the support contract $$$ or the upgrade costs!! Sick.

Well, how else do you expect them to be able to pay for buying Linksys? :)

OHHH now that makes sense!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: