cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Domain server available when using the VPN 3.6.x client

joseph.ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

I can connect to my 2621 router using the VPN client (3.6.x), however, when the NT domain login screen is presented and I enter my credentials, I get a "No domain server...". I cannot log in to access any network resoruces. Any suggestions would be helpful.

3 Replies 3

pcguru1964
Level 1
Level 1

i am fairly new to the arena but at first guess... make sure you have the proper ports open. make a temporary rule to allow ping and try to see if you can reach the servers in question. i use netware for internal servers so the scenario is a little different. though the theory is the same. not much but i hope i helped a little.

michael.arthur
Level 1
Level 1

I'm guessing that your client OS is an MS 9.x flavor (e.g., '95, '98 or ME). If that's the case, make sure you have the MS client installed and have configured the PC to log into a domain as if it were on your corporate net. Then use the same username/password for your local Windows login that you would at work. What will happen is that it will still say you are unable to find a domain controller, but after you connect via VPN your local credentials will be passed to network resources at work.

This doesn't happen with MS OS's based on an NT kernel (e.g., NT, 2K or XP) because they have the capability of allowing you to provide your authentication credentials on an "as needed" basis. For example, lets say you've got a Win2k PC at home and you log in as administrator to your local account, then you connect back to work using VPN. When you try and map a drive to a share from work, you'll be prompted for your username and password, and if you enter the same username/password (along with the domain name of course) you should be authenticated and be on your merry way. Unfortunately, this is not an option with '95, '98 and ME, which is why you need the workaround described above.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have been working with Cisco TAC and we have determined that despite a correct router configuration, the IOS version (12.2(13)T1) has problems when the firewall feature and NAT function simultaneously. I am waiting for the TAC engineer to send me an interim version of IOS that will solve the problem. I appreciate you taking time to reply to my post.