cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no ip bootp server on a DHCP relay agent?

bmisenor
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 7200 acting as the DHCP relay agent on my network. From a security standpoint, I want to disable the bootp server, with 'no ip bootp server'. What bearing, if any, does 'no ip bootp server' have on DHCP activity?

8 Replies 8

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

The ip bootp-server command tells the router to listen for the bootp packet that comes in sourced from 0.0.0.0. Disabling this statement tells the router to ignore these packets. The users that already obtained an ip address from the DHCP server will continue to keep the ip address given to them until they are rebooted.

I have a FWSM in my 6509 Switch, what i need to do is relay or forward bootp requests from a Micros machine on the inside interface, and so far its not working.

Tried adding a helper address with the BootP server.

Any help appreciated,

Hi,

What can you see in the PIX logs when a client tries to obtain an IP address?

Rgds

Paddy

DHCP relay is working fine, and the client does get his settings in his pool, the problem im facing is in the BootP machines, Bootp doesnt seem to be working.

Hi Bassam,

For the PIX software 6.3(3) there is a known bug (ID CSCef27344) that bootp relay does not work.

This is the description:

Symptom:

BOOTP reply packet is dropped by the PIX firewall

Condition:

Attempting to use the DHCP relay with BOOTP clients.

Workaround:

Use full DHCP implementation on the client.

Maybe the same bug is contained in the FWSM.

Regards,

Casper

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

It won't affect your DHCP relaying.

To turn off DHCP relaying your would have to issue "no service dhcp"

HTH

Paddy

pooria_koleyni
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question if anyone can help me please

I also use 7200 as the DHCP relay agent

But some users set static IP from DHCP pool range and cause problem

How can i stop this users activity if they set static IP while they should get IP from DHCP ?

Dears,

you can configure ip helper address on the FWSM in route mode just go for DHCP => DHCP Relay => and enable it on proper interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: