cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No tunnel group passwords inside ASA backup

ivickery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Does anyone know why the tunnel group passwords have been removed from the config. See below

tunnel-group TG_RAS ipsec-attributes

pre-shared-key *

This means that if I try to restore the config I am going to have an * as the preshare key password.

Is there a way to have the preshare key shown as encrypted text?

Many thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do a "write net tftp_server_ip:filename" and then open the filename from the tftp server. It should be in a non-encrypted format. The encryption is caused by the PIX software.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

View solution in original post

In addition you can also issue more system to show secret keys in plain text of all Ipsec tunnels preshare keys.

The password has not been removed, as far as I know they do show as * but the actual password is there, when you backup config that information will be backed and copied back to fw when restoring config.

asa#more system:running-config

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are not removed. This is more of a security feature to evade the 'over the back' peekers :). You can see/recover the password using multiple ways:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00807f2d37.shtml

Regards

Farrukh

3 Replies 3

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do a "write net tftp_server_ip:filename" and then open the filename from the tftp server. It should be in a non-encrypted format. The encryption is caused by the PIX software.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

In addition you can also issue more system to show secret keys in plain text of all Ipsec tunnels preshare keys.

The password has not been removed, as far as I know they do show as * but the actual password is there, when you backup config that information will be backed and copied back to fw when restoring config.

asa#more system:running-config

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are not removed. This is more of a security feature to evade the 'over the back' peekers :). You can see/recover the password using multiple ways:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00807f2d37.shtml

Regards

Farrukh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card