Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Not sending a default route w/ PIX 7.X

I have a PC that has 2 NICs in it its connectected to a 10.x.x.x/24 and a 192.168.x.x.

The 10.x.x.x is grabbed via DCHP from the PIX the 192.168.x.x is statically nailed w/ a default route and I want my 192.168.x.x to be the default route.

However when the machine gets the DHCP 10.x.x.x address from the PIX it has a default route incuded as well and the machine (Windows 2000) get very confused.

What I want is the ability to have the PIX not advertize a default gateway in DHCP as this interface on the PIX is a stub network and I dont want it routing anywhere off network. That interface simply does a bunch of static NATing for me.

Anyone have an Idea how I can do this?

Thanks

Tim

5 REPLIES

Re: Not sending a default route w/ PIX 7.X

you could try adding the below command even though I think it is supported on transparent mode only.

dhcpd option 3 ip gateway_ip

I hope it helps .. please rate it if it does !!!

My only idea would be that maybe you could turn off that dhcpd option on the PIX:

no dhcpd option ...

code for gateway is 3, I think.

Not sure whether this will work.

that does work

advanced DHCP options

code for gateway is 3,

it worked for me

Bronze

Hello,

You can find the DHCPD options in RFC 2132:

http://www.geektools.com/rfc/rfc2132.txt

It is option 3 for the 'router option'

The one thing the documentation at cisco is not clear on is whether doing a 'no dhcpd option 3' will actually work - it doesn't show up in the running config - the no command probably only clears the line if it's set in the configuration, I don't think it will turn off sending of a default route.

You may have to do a workaround - actually specify the 192.168.xxx.xxx to be the default route that the pix gives when it replies to the dhcp request - try

dhcpd option 3 ip 192.168.xxx.xxx

And that should resolve your issue, assuming that the 'no dhcpd option 3' doesn't work.

--Jason

Please rate if this message helped resolve your issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies