cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not sending a default route w/ PIX 7.X

tim.brown
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PC that has 2 NICs in it its connectected to a 10.x.x.x/24 and a 192.168.x.x.

The 10.x.x.x is grabbed via DCHP from the PIX the 192.168.x.x is statically nailed w/ a default route and I want my 192.168.x.x to be the default route.

However when the machine gets the DHCP 10.x.x.x address from the PIX it has a default route incuded as well and the machine (Windows 2000) get very confused.

What I want is the ability to have the PIX not advertize a default gateway in DHCP as this interface on the PIX is a stub network and I dont want it routing anywhere off network. That interface simply does a bunch of static NATing for me.

Anyone have an Idea how I can do this?

Thanks

Tim

5 Replies 5

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

you could try adding the below command even though I think it is supported on transparent mode only.

dhcpd option 3 ip gateway_ip

I hope it helps .. please rate it if it does !!!

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

My only idea would be that maybe you could turn off that dhcpd option on the PIX:

no dhcpd option ...

code for gateway is 3, I think.

Not sure whether this will work.

that does work

Neal Gravatt
Level 1
Level 1

advanced DHCP options

code for gateway is 3,

it worked for me

jgervia_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You can find the DHCPD options in RFC 2132:

http://www.geektools.com/rfc/rfc2132.txt

It is option 3 for the 'router option'

The one thing the documentation at cisco is not clear on is whether doing a 'no dhcpd option 3' will actually work - it doesn't show up in the running config - the no command probably only clears the line if it's set in the configuration, I don't think it will turn off sending of a default route.

You may have to do a workaround - actually specify the 192.168.xxx.xxx to be the default route that the pix gives when it replies to the dhcp request - try

dhcpd option 3 ip 192.168.xxx.xxx

And that should resolve your issue, assuming that the 'no dhcpd option 3' doesn't work.

--Jason

Please rate if this message helped resolve your issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card