cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Novell IPX Access using VPN Client 3.5.1 with remote access to 3000 Version

awiseley
Level 1
Level 1

I have my remote group defined, created a user, and was able to establish the VPN tunnel. I am now testing what I can and cannot access. It appears most of the IP applications (As400, HP9000, Telnet) works fine.

Can you tell me how I login and access IPX on a Novell 5.1 Server? I have Client for Microsoft Networks, Client for Netware Networks, and Service for Netware Directory Services installed on the remote users laptop. I never get prompted for a Novell IPX login.

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

This might sound a bit naive but it's worth saying. I hope the deployed VPN over which you are trying to access your IPX server isn't an IPSec VPN. I have seen buddies stumbling here.

Had the endpoints been routers, the same could be handled using some sort of encap to make it work. To see how that is done, do take a look at 'Configuring GRE and IPSec with IPX Routing' http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/33.shtml. How to do the same on a 3000 concentrator is something that I really dont know.

Thanks for the heads up. This is my first VPN implementation (cisco 3000) and it did not register we are talking straight IP. I am having the Client/Server guys check into Novell over IP. Thanks for the URL.

I'm in the middle of a project implementing VPN3K within a Novell environment. One of the prerequisites we set was to upgrade the Novell implementation so that we could run straight IP (Novell >= version 5?). The Novell client seems to be very happy with the VPN client, as it maps drives and servers very nicely...

In running through the project, I noted that there were Novell issues which had resolutions of being on A) the latest Novell client, and B) being at VPN client version 3.6.3.A. But you can't swing a dead cat in a Google search without hitting the materials I was looking at with the keywords "cisco vpn client novell netware"...

Now if I could just get the VPN client to launch the Novell login dialog upon successful connection... and yes, that's about to be posted as a new question here.

Good Luck!

We use a PIX 515 with 3DES for remote access VPN. Remote users just use telnet to mainframe and Lotus Notes. I was testing Novell access so I can access my drives when at home.

In brief, here is what we needed to do:

1. NetWare 5.1. Setup SLP. Scoped preferred but (as in our case) unscoped will work.

2. Cisco VPN Client -> Options button -> application launcher -> browse to logwin32.exe and choose enable box.

3. Set Novell Client to static SLPDA address(es). Novell Client -> Service Location tab. Enter DA address(es) and select static.

4. Preferred server option needs to be IP address of login server.

This is what I used and it worked. Login was slow because of unscoped DA. I've been told a scoped DA will yield a faster login.

Hope this helps.

awiseley
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the information. It will help the Novell Adminstrator understand what he would have to implement to get access through the VPN.

I have two other question I could use help with.

(1) I would like to allow the remote user access through the VPN into our network and allow that user to use the corporate Internet acess. Can anyone tell me how to successfully implement this? I do not like the idea of "split tunneling" on a security level and would prefer they use our resources to access our ISP.

(2) I have a problem with NT trying to authenticate to each environment it encounters. My local ISP --> Corporate ISP --> Then the local NT Domain. Is there a way to have it only try authenticating one time only?

Thanks for the Novell help.

awiseley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: