Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

nslookup returns internal IP

I do not have any alias commands on my Pix 515 running 6.3.1.

These are the current sysopt settings:

no sysopt connection timewait

sysopt connection tcpmss 1380

sysopt connection tcpmss minimum 0

no sysopt nodnsalias inbound

no sysopt nodnsalias outbound

no sysopt radius ignore-secret

no sysopt uauth allow-http-cache

no sysopt connection permit-ipsec

sysopt connection permit-pptp

no sysopt connection permit-l2tp

no sysopt ipsec pl-compatible

when I nslookup to an outside DNS server from a PC inside the firewall, I get a response from the outside DNS server for an internal IP of my mail server, even though external DNS should be resolving to the external IP of the server.

When I NSLOOKUP from a pc on the internet to the same DNS server and ask for the same A record, it returns the correct External IP.

I am not sure if the sysopt command is the direction I should be looking to solve this problem, but I thought I would ask for some advice.

Its hard to troubleshoot my external DNS settings when the pix keeps translating the IP.

Thanks for any help

Jeff

1 REPLY

Re: nslookup returns internal IP

Hey Jeff,

Yet another bug (assuming you have a static in your config for the mail server). The DDTS ID is CSCea70434 - Inside to outside DNS server queries translated by PIX(6.3) w/static. And as you probably guessed, this to is fixed in 6.3(3) code. Are you getting the impression that you probably should not be running on the 6.3(1) code? Sorry for the problems.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content