cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Design

aola
Level 1
Level 1

What are the basic steps of configuring OSPF between a corporate office and 4 branches of about 10 people at each site. Assuming the network is currently running RIPv1.

5 Replies 5

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

The focus of this board is Virtual Private Networks, however, there are a number of professionals online who may be able to assist you.

We are always considering additional forums for such topics and I will make a note of your post.

You may also wish to review the documents online at:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/PSP/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:OSPF

If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to speak with an engineer at our Technical Assistance Center. You can open a case online at www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

jan.blaauboer
Level 1
Level 1

Is this a stand-alone network? I.e. not connected to the Internet or so?

If so - it's fairly small, no need to create more than one OSPF area (assuming WAN connections have decent performance). Which basically boils down to enabling OSPF on all routers on the relevant interfaces.

ramesh_k_arora
Level 1
Level 1

1) make a diagram of corporate office and branch offices

2) configure ospf with process id no. 20 area 0

at corporate office

3) define the network with inverse mask on that

router

4) on branch offices define the ip address of interfaces as well as the network and also define areas per branch office

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

i suppose from u r explanation that the company is having a frame relay network between the branches and CO. currently u r running RIP..u can configure the CO first... with OSPF ..and then at the branches

if the frame relay conf is made on phy interface.. then u have a OSPF network type NON BROadcast type... if it is the same at all branches and CO no problem is there.. u need to use commands like

neighbor priority 1

neighbor priority 1

neighbor priority 1

neighbor priority 1

at the CO and

at the BRanch offices give a command

neighbor priority 10.. so that the DR will be the CO router

or just give a command in all routers in the phy int

ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

if any of the routers are using subinterfaces say point to point of multipoint.. then the hello timers vary... so its better to go for the ip ospf network point-to-multipoint command so that hello timers are same everywhere... if hello timers are mismatching... u wont get a neighbor relationship established between the branch and CO..

this is all u need to do... and to prevent loss of connectivity....

dont turn off rip first

with rip on.. configure ospf everywhere and then turn off rip

bcoz u r network may be down due to lack of routing updates... if u turn off rip before configuring ospf...

bye

shanky

shanky@37.com

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

faheyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm, I probably wouldn't OSPF route anything. I'd just static map all the ip addresses with default routes. This gives you ultimate control for a small network like yours. And since there are no routing decisions (the packet is local or not), routing is instantaneous.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: