Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF, Frame Relay, 2 Default Routes and Design Considerations

All,

I need to design a migration to an OSPF from a primarily IGRP Frame Relay WAN. There are two "central sites" in this particular network: The "North" side of the company has a Frame Relay WAN running IGRP, the secondary data center and an internet firewall. The "South" central site has a point-to-point WAN running primarily OSPF, company headquarters, the primary data center and an internet firewall. The company is two merged companies, with the "North" sites smaller but more numerous, and the "South" sites are fewer in number, yet larger. The company recently committed to deplying a replacement Frame Relay WAN, which will encompass all the existing FR links, as well as links that have been T1/FT1 links up to this point. While this FR network is being deployed, we will move the customer from being primarily IGRP to being almost exclusively OSPF.

One of the challenges is that the South sites need to use the internet firewall at the South data center, while the North sites need to use the internet firewall at the North data center. I also need to be able to switch the default routes for both halves of the WAN to point to a single firewall in case of an internet failure at either of the central sites.

I have several ideas on how to go about this, but I would sure like to hear from some folks on how they have designed or witnessed medium to large sized OSPF WANs, with hopefully multiple points of egresss to the internet.

If you have a strong understanding of OSPF in a Frame Relay network, I'd sure like to hear from you. I can provide several drawings illustrating the situation, if you would be willing to collaborate with me.

My main goal is to make sure that I design a scalable and resilient network. I will be designing it and also be intimately involved in deploying it, and need to pull from your experience in other implementations to ensure that I avoid all the pitfalls I can.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content