cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Other VPN issues for Discussion

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

What are the issues you are facing with your use of VPN? What VPN issues would you like to discuss on the Networking Professionals Connection?

Please let us know by posting your comments to this conversation.

Thank you for visiting the Cisco Networking Professionals Connection.

Cisco Moderator

37 Replies 37

The PIX 520 will not have a problem terminating that many VPN’s especially since quite a few of your remote offices have less than 20 users. The 2500’s can do 56 bit IP Sec but can’t do 3DES. If you go up to the 2600’s you can do 3DES. I’d suggest using the software upgrade planner on cisco.com to determine your hardware requirements. There are too many combinations of features and router models to give you a recommendation. I can tell you that it looks like your hardware will handle 56 Bit across the board. Like I said though, start with the software upgrade planner it’s a great tool that I use all the time.

dlittlepage
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up multiple 1720's to a hub 7120 router via VPN running 3DES. Do I need to use a routing protocol or can I set up an access list on the hub that will allow traffic from one branch to another.

Thanks

At Y&R Toronto, our primary issues is a large installed base of Mac users (design dept.) who will be left stranded without a Mac-compatible VPN client.

Are there alternatives, even third-party, that anyone can suggest?

Is it possible to do a site-to-site VPN? I think it would be easier to administer than client hosts. If you can’t do site-to-site you have two choices. Either wait for Cisco’s Universal Client which is being released soon, or get some third party software. Does anyone use a third party Mac client here?

Try Network TeleSystems they should have a client to do what you are tying to accomplish.

asim
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to configure a VPN concentrator(3015) on my company LAN. I configured the public and private interfaces with public and private addresses as per the addressing scheme of our company. My VPN connection established when I tried to connect with the network via Internet but I could not browse my local LAN. I created a user entry in the internal database as well as indicated the authentication from NT server. What I got the user/password dialogue from the internal database server but no dialogue from the NT Server. Any suggestion.

khlo
Level 1
Level 1

My VPN issue are:

1.Any single VPN chassis can support simultaneous PPTP, L2TP as well as IPSec VPN client access from Internet client (W95,W98,WNT,W2000,Windows ME)through ISPs.

2.Can Server Load Balance or Firewall load balance Layer 7 switch be used for scalability and resiliency of VPN platform(PPTP server, L2TP server etc)?

trebor.sanicra
Level 1
Level 1

I have PIX 515 with IOS 5.2(1) and 803 with IOS 12.0(3). Configured the PIX with IPSEC and using VPN Client 1.1 to access the internal network but I'm having problem in connection, one out of five connection tries succeeds. Any ideas why.

I’m not sure if anyone can help you here because you’ll need to do some troubleshooting on this one, like looking at the debugs, etc. I would just call TAC on this one.

daroy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am experiencing a problem to used the Novell Client 32 v.4.8. The novell client cannot see his Tree neither the Novell Server when I try to logon.

I am connecting with the Cisco VPN Client v.2.5.2 to my VPN concentrator v.2.5.2.

The Client is a Windows NT 4.0 sp6a.

Why the Novell Client cannot see his Tree or Server ???

I could from the Dos prompt ping the Novell server by name and the Tree. Both are defined in the DNS server.

Tks in advance...

I also had problems with using a VPN with Novell.

The issue is with Novell, not the VPN. The workaround I used is to use IP addresses instead of

server names in the login splash screen. Note that

this was with another vendor's VPN solution.

roger.horton
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up dial backup circuits between two remote sites using a VPN approach over ISDN BRI circuits and the internet. I need to know: 1) what IOS feature set do I need (IP, IP PLUS, etc.)?, 2) where are example configurations for VPN on 800, 1700, and 2600 routers?, 3) how do you manage internet connections that use dynamic addresses. Can you recommend any textbooks on configuring Cisco routers for VPN? Thanks for any help.

g_1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir,

I would like to have the discussion on following topics as the discussion can surely lead to purchase of required equipments from cisco itself!!

Would appreciate discussion on specific only

"Access VPN" and not Intranet and Extranet Vpns

- Various products available in market for Access VPNs

- How it actually work.

- Pro's and Con's

- Security threats, if any.

robert.hawkins
Level 1
Level 1

I am at a client location that uses a Cisco 1720 for Internet access. Also using MS Proxy Ver. 2 and Windows 2000 Server VPN solution. The client would like to eliminate the Proxy Server and the Win2K VPN solution. What do I need to put onto the 1720 router that will take over the task of VPN and Proxy / Firewall?

Thanks in advace.

The 1720 router cannot function in the capacity of a web cache like Microsoft Proxy does, but with the right amount of memory and IOS software with firewall and IPSEC support, you can do everything else.