Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook/Exchange not working over VPN

JOSH GANT
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have seen this issue come up in a number of posts, and I am seeing the same issue at a customer site. Maybe if we can get everyone with the problem on the same thread, we can get a fix.

At the customer site, there are ~50 laptops running 95 or 98. Some are running Outlook 97, others have Outlook 2000. All of the laptops have IP connectivity to devices on the LAN (over the tunnel). All laptops can browse the network (they have a WINS entry). Outlook does not work on 6 of them! Of the few that do not work, some are 95, some are 98, some have Outlook 97, some have Outlook 2000. All laptops are configured to login to an NT Domain. Thoughts?

18 Replies 18

kerry.whittaker
Level 1
Level 1

look like setting the MTU size have fixed my problems. it also increased the speed of the connection.

nmhc
Level 1
Level 1

I faced the same issue on both Domain logon as well Outlook access to exchange server..After changing the registry settings on win 95/98 it works fine..

Create a data type key MTU and set it to 1470..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\netTrans\000n

MaxMTU = 1470

Data Type: String

By default packet size is 1500 bytes and also DF is set.VPN tunnel can't handle more than 1470 bytes i suppose and that's why packets are dropped at vpn router.

naga

Something want to make sure. Should I need to modify changes to all workstations and servers?

Also, which registry should I make changes under Win2k or WinXP?

satish-nair
Level 1
Level 1

under set mtu decrease your mtu size to 576. This will fix the problem with outlook/exchange