cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outside NAT address from inside protected network?

jljamison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I've got a static address on the outside mapped to an inside web server. We'd like to be able to address the web server from inside using the same outside address. Is this possible?

Thanks

-John

2 Replies 2

mklaphek
Level 1
Level 1

I am responding to this based on the device being a PIX. If this isn't the case, please disregard.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you want to use the same IP Address from the inside and the outside, you could do that. However, the inside addresses are subject to the same routing requirements as any other host. In other words, you cannot just change this host and expect it to reach its gateway.

If, however, you want to be able to use the outside IP address for users on the inside to connect to, then you need to use the Alias command for DNS fixups. See the DOCs on how to use the Alias command; it's straightforward.

HTH

This is a pix 515 UR with 6.1 software. I have an inside network (192.168.12.0) and an inside host running a web server. I have an outside address mapped to the inside address using the static command. From outside, the host is accessible using the outside address. from inside it is available using the inside address. If one tries from the inside network to access the server using the external address (e.g. not by hostname), there is no response.

The question is, is there a way to make this work: allow an inside host to access another inside host using a static mapped address on the external network. The alias command I believe would work if we were using hostnames and not addresses per se.

Thanks

-John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: