cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

packet captures in pcap format

rahmant
Level 1
Level 1

Running a packet capture on an ASA 5520 and I'd like to transfer the capture bucket in pcap format to my computer for analysis. I can get an ASCII record of the packets copied over using the "copy" command, however, I'd like to transfer the pcap dump using the "copy" command instead. Does anyone know how to do that transfer?

The documentation states (8.x cmd reference, pg 4-11) that I should be able to get the pcap dump using a browser and the unit's web interface via https, but I think the unit gets confused with WebVPN when I make the transfer attempt.

Thanks,

Tariq

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anthony.king
Level 1
Level 1

Use the /pcap switch after the copy command. I've had some problems with copying out the outside interface for some reason but if you do a copy /pcap to flash and then copy the file from flash to your pc it should work just fine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

anthony.king
Level 1
Level 1

Use the /pcap switch after the copy command. I've had some problems with copying out the outside interface for some reason but if you do a copy /pcap to flash and then copy the file from flash to your pc it should work just fine.

That did the trick - thanks :)

Wish they'd mentioned that in the docs ...

Tariq

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: