cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet dropping through VPN?

nsteup
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN Hub and Spoke design with one central PIX and five remote PIXes doing 3des Encryption. Does anyone know if the PIX is dropping packets while encrypting packets? CPU is less than 10%. Sessions will stop for 5 to 20 seconds on working through VPN-Tunnel.

4 Replies 4

paqiu
Level 1
Level 1

I have not seen PIX dropping packets during encryption or decryption.

Usually it is because of the link issue or the switch which the PIX connecting to has some issues there.

Thanks.

The Pixes are connected to Catalyst switches (2950) on the inside interface. Port settings were allready changed from auto to 10half. What I can see are deferred packets counting contiuously. I think this is because of bandwith bottlenecks (100full from PC to 2Meg on internet) but this shouldn't stop traffic for over 20sec. Or is this probably my general problem?

VPN tunnel stop traffic for over 20 sec is quite a long time. During that period, is there no internet link flapping issues ?

If you confirm that your internet link has no issues but PIX still stop passing VPN traffic over 20 sec. Please upload the Hub PIX config and let us have a look what could cause the problem in the configuration.

Best Regards,

Everything is ok now. Our provider found some problems on the accesspoint and after reconfiguration and reset the connection did not hang any longer. So no new bug was found, no wrong config, nor any PIX was defect. The Cisco equipment just worked like it has to work.