Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Phantom Port-Security Errors?

Hello All,

I'm curious if anyone who has enabled port-security has experienced this issue. I've enabled port-security on some distribution switches. Two of those switches are connected for redundancy. On a few occassions, I have seen port-security errors crop up on those switches that don't make sense. For example, I've seen a violation error come up on both of those switches, at the same time, for a device that is actually plugged into an access switch's port. I know for sure that the violating device wasn't plugged into these two distribution ports simultaneously. I also know for sure that the device was never moved off of the access switch. So why would the distribution switches report a violation? Could this be because of some STP change? Bug? Something else?

Any input would be appreciated.

--Jeff

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Phantom Port-Security Errors?

If you are using restrict mode then a trap will be sent each time the address is seen. So as long as the device is connected the messages will continue to appear.

Re: Phantom Port-Security Errors?

True. But what if the violating device was never plugged into the switch's port? Why would I be seeing a mac address on a port, causing port-security's violation mode to trigger, when the physical connection to that port hasn't changed? ARP table corruption? Flapping? If it was a consistent problem I'd have a better idea and more to offer. But I appreciate the input.

Views
Helpful
Replies