cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical Console Security

brianprice
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to locate a device or small box to allow our Console ports to stay active but secure. Does anyone know of a physical means of protecting the Console ports on small routers such as 2500 series?

3 Replies 3

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

You mean for Dial up access to the ports?

Thanks for the reply. No, this is for routers that may need the CONSOLE PORT secured. This is for locations that are locked but not secure. We have TACACS but choose not to place this on Console. Therefore, if someone has access they can break-in to the router via a CONSOLE PASSWORD RESET and reload the config. I do not want this to happen. If I can buy something to physically block the port from "physical" access then a breakin can not occur.

I would Cisco would sell something like this but I can't find it...

I'd recommend configuring your devices to have a '0' second, absolute timeout when connecting to the console port. You should also include 'transport none'. Just short of physically extracting the port off the circuit board, I know of no 'devices' you're looking for to actually secure the port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: