Views
Helpful
Replies

Physical setup of a VPN

herbert.ruth
Level 1
Level 1

some assistance on the following would be most aprreciated:

I have a LAN in two different countries that I would like to join by using IPSEC tunneling and VPN routers.

There are three LAN's involved. Two are in the same country attached bu a serial link.I want to connect the outer two LANS via VPN. What is the best way to connect the routers into the physical network. Behind a firewall or in front of a firewall. My lANS internet connections are 512K Frame relay likms terminating on a v.35 serial interface on the router.....how do I connect the routers, as I understand that your router requires a public address for this to work....

Will the VPN traffic from country A pass through the router(7206)in the middle LAN of Country B through a firewall to the destination VPN LAN in Country B?

1 Reply 1

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

Your description is a little confusing but I think I may have an idea. First, you don’t want decrypted packets on the Internet anywhere, even right outside of your network so terminate the VPN at the inside of your firewall or use a Cisco router with IOS Firewall and VPN software on it. Keep in mind that if you want traffic to flow from “Country A” to the remote office in “Country B” across the Serial link, you will need to gateway all your clients at a single router at the VPN site in “Country B.” I’d suggest calling Cisco and get a design engineer to look at it.