cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping across a VPN

jimmy-lister
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN between an ASA 5510 7.1 and a Pix 501 6.3. The tunnel is up and hosts on both sides can ping and access resources. However when I am telneted to the ASA or the Pix I cannot ping any hosts on the remote side. What commands do I need to enter to make it possible to ping remote hosts from either firewall?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

As long as your not restricting the traffic with an ACL all you have to do is add the interface in the command.

ping inside x.x.x.x

This should allow the traffic to hit the VPN ACL's and send it accross the tunnel.

Thanks,

Chad

Please rate if it helps!

Chad,

That did not work.

My ACL for that VPN is

access-list aclvpn permit ip 192.x.x.x 255.x.x.x 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x

Should that cover it? Or do i need to add a permit icmp?

Can you ping the inside interface of the pix from the remote hosts?

It has been my experience where the PIX and ASA are concerned you if they are the VPN endpoints you can't ping from one to the other. The cause of this is that you are on the interface and it is generating the traffic and that means it has bypassed the interface on which it would be recognized as interesting traffic for the VPN tunnel.

You can ping accross a VPN from the pix when including the interface in the ping statement. As long as the inside interface is in the scope of interesting traffic.

I can ping the remote interface from a host on that remote subnet. I have tried #ping inside x.x.x.x on both firewalls. From either firewall I cannot ping the remote firewall or remote hosts. I can ping between host across the VPN.

Have you tried to use the management interface command. This should be set for an interface that the tunnel does not land on. I forget if it is available on the asa, but I believe it is. Enabling this on both sides should fix your problem, assuming the ip address are part of the encryption domain.

make sure that if you have an Access-list for the inside network going out and it has a deny ip any any at the end of that ACL that you have a rule that allows the traffic between the 2 networks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: