cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX-1FE, is there such a thing?

0rsnaric
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I just bought a PIX-1FE card from a computer parts reseller and I'll be damned if it's not just a compaq 10/100 ethernet interface. It even has the WOL cable attached. The chipset matches with Cisco's compatability list (SB82558B), but I feel like I got ripped off. I paid $80.00 for this NIC that I could have purchased for about $35.00.

So, someone clue me in, is there a PIX-1FE that comes in a Cisco box, and is tagged with a Cisco part number and says PIX-1FE on it? Or is any NIC with the correct chipset considered a PIX-1FE? My only other experience with purchasing additional interfaces was with a PIX-4FE and I don't recall there being any Cisco logos/stickers on it either.

Thnaks,

Rick

1 Reply 1

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Yep, Cisco makes big money off of that - but, you do get the guarantee that the part is what it is - sometimes companies silently release a change to a product that breaks things - in fact, I think one of the soho oriented networking companies shipped cards with the same old model number while the chipset was completely different - a model number that used to be on some open source OS's compatibility list, now didn't work at all as it was an unsupported chipset.

Anyhow, google for a frankenpix - Pixen are just pcs anyhow. You could build your own unsupported pix 520 if you'd like.

matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: