cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 315e

mafriedman
Level 1
Level 1

Can you suggest a method to configure the PIX 315e firewall to handle Internet (VPN) connections and at the same time allow us to utilize our Public IP addressing scheme for our interion LANs (i.e. 130.xxx.xxx.xxx)? The Internet host PCs will utilize a private IP addressing scheme (i.e. 10.xxx.xxx.xxx).

Thanks...

mark

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VPN connectivity is configured separately in most part to routing and NAT translation, if that's what you're trying to determine (your question is a little unclear).

VPn configuration is shown here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/index.shtml#pix

whereas being able to use your existing IP addresses for your interior LAN's is simply a matter of defining the right address on the inside interface of the PIX, defining any static routes necessary to get to other internal networks, then if you don't want to do NAT at all, use the "nat (inside) 0 0 0" command. The command reference is here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_62/cmdref/index.htm

Thanks for your reply.

This question was in response to a consultant who claimed that we could not use the PIX 315e and maintain our internal (public) IP addressing scheme if our remote laptops were to access our WAN via an Internet connection.

He claimed that there is no way the host could find a server within our internal WAN if the Server used a public IP address (i.e. 130.xxx.xxx.xxx). I felt he was incorrect, but needed input from someone with more knowledge about the Cisco system. He said that if there was a way to do this, he'd like someone to show him how it could be done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card