Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 5.31 doesn't get address from DHCP Server of Cable modem Provider

s.munzani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have cable modem from @home. If I use any PC with DHCP client, it get's ip address from my ISP. However my PIX 506 with 5.31 code is unable to get DHCP address.

After doing some research I have discovered following.

@home uses DHCP server that requires client sending it's host name in DHCP request. If you use linux dhcpd with -h option it will send host name and it works.

Is there any hidden way in PIX to send host name in DHCP request? Does cisco router's DHCP client have this option?

Thanks in advance,

Sam Munzani

CCIE # 6479

2 Replies 2

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

Here are a few things you might want to check: Are you releasing the DHCP lease before plugging in the PIX? I would think the cable modem is retaining that IP address/lease for the PC’s MAC address. I’m guessing it’s rfc2131 compliant. Have you run a sniffer trace on the wire to see if the PIX’s hostname is there? Have you renamed the PIX’s hostname to match that of the @Home assigned hostname?

jwadler
Level 1
Level 1

your isp is probably using pppoe. you'll need a device outside the pix, like a linksys befr router to establish the connection. you could also use a ios router with a version that supports pppoe instead of the pix

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card