cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501-10 and PIX 501-50

agoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me how this pix works with the 10 or 50 user limits? Does it learn the mac/ip address and only allow the first 10 through? If so then what is the time-out for the clients after they disconnect? and is there a way to change this?

Can it be bypassed by having a proxy server inside (I appreciate this is probably not legally a solution)?

cheers for your time.

Andy

5 Replies 5

pgolding
Level 1
Level 1

the number of inside hosts is limited in hardware. using a proxy to work around this is outside the license conditions, if it does work.

nsteup
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

as far as I looked on my pixes 501 the used licences are use and freed, like someone connects through the pix (pix made a conn entry). One of our customers uses a 501 10 User with 14 PCs and it works - for the first 10 PCs who are conneting simultaniously of course.

If the restriction is in hardware, how would you update from 10 to 50 users? You get an activation key and after rebooting you have 50 licences.

So, if you use a proxy to go to the internet, everything should work fine, and tell me why the use of a proxyserver should not be legal?

Kind regards

Norbert

Thanks for the replies. I am finding that even if I shut down the pc's I cannot get past the 10 user limit without rebooting the pix, even clear xlate doesn't appear to work. I was wondering if there was a timeout limit.

I know it does work with a proxy server but the cost of upgrading to 50 users for my client won't be a problem. I assume cisco imply that the licence agreement is for 10 inside hosts even if they connect through a proxy.

cheers for your time.

Andy

"sho local-host" and "clear local-host" are the commands you want to get familiar with. If a host has no connections associated with it then it shouldn't be included in the 10 hosts that your licence is limiting you to.

fantastic - they look like exactly what I need.

cheers

Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card