Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501, ADSL and PPPoA

Hello,

I am trying to add in a PIX firewall to our ADSL-based net connection. Main problem I am having is that I can't find out how to set up the PPPoA authentication details in the PIX. I can see info on setting up PPPoE but not the PPPoA protocol used by BT in the UK.

Surely PPPoA setups are supported by the PIX?

Matthew

2 Replies 2

yusuff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PIX firewall does not support PPPoA.

Regards

Yusuf

agnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matthew,

If memory serves me correctly or my notes confirm what I'm about to post then I hope you might find this helpful.

I've used a PIX 501 in conjuction with a D-Link DSL300+ modem\router. You can set the D-Link to bridge and enter your PPPoA credentials including authentication type in the modem's config through it's web interface. When you do this and hook it up to your DSL line the IP address is passed through to the PIX, which then can use this address on it's own outside interface. Now you can set up the PIX using PDM. This way you get all of the functionality of the PIX for a little extra cost. Not perfect but unless Cisco plan to include support for PPPoA then it might be the only way. I expect other Ethernet modems will also work but I have only tried with the D-Link.

Good luck and let me know if this is any help to you.

Peter Williams

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card