cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501, allows external clients only before next hop to connect.

bob
Level 1
Level 1

Heres the problem:

I have configured the Pix501 to accept PPTP connections and it works. I tested this by using a laptop with win98 on the same network segment (of the external interface). However anytime my clients who are on a different ISP try to connect they can not. I tried with my same laptop from home and from another location and all fail.

I read recently that a router/firewall can block certain kinds of packets which do not permit PPTP connections to be established. I believe this is my problem however i am unable to find information about this to pass along to my ISP support staff.

That is i think the router which supplies the pix with its external connection is the problem.

Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

PPTP uses GRE packets. Ask them if they block GRE, also ask if they block ESP and AH (IPSec packet types, you might want to switch to IPSec if you determine that your end users' ISPs are blocking GRE in an attempt to shake them down for "business class" dsl/cable rates.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

PPTP uses GRE packets. Ask them if they block GRE, also ask if they block ESP and AH (IPSec packet types, you might want to switch to IPSec if you determine that your end users' ISPs are blocking GRE in an attempt to shake them down for "business class" dsl/cable rates.

Thanks, The isp had old equipment in the building which wouldnt pass the traffic. If your ever in canton ohio give me a shout and i will buy ya a beer.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card