Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501 and Linksys wireless access points

allanlindsay
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 501 configured with an internal address of 192.168.1.x

I also have a Linksys wireless Access point that handles my wireless workstations. With a user license of 10 users, I wanted to have the wireless PCs all go thru the Linksys and hit the PIX as 1 user.

I'm not trying to defraud Cisco but I have a some work PCs and then Home PCs and need to access the Internet from both. The Home PCs are all wireless and I only use them when I'm not working.

So, can I set the Linksys up on a separate subnet to accomplish this? For example, can I set the wireless up as 192.168.2.x and set the wireless gateway up to route thru the PIX using the wireless access point IP.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Allan

2 Replies 2

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, this kind of setup is working.

Just add the outside WAN interface of the linksys to the inside network of your PIX Firewall.

Configure DHCP for the WAN interface on the Linksys and configure PAT and evertthing is working.

As you mentioned you need to add another IP Network as 192.168.1.0 for the Linksys inside LAN.

Patrick

Thanks for the advice...once I started configuring the Linksys, all worked very easily. I just had to add a couple of routes and all is well.

Thanks again,

Allan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: