Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 and software version 7.x?

Is there any possibility that there will be a version 7.x release for the PIX 501 (and the 506) any time soon, if at all?

The current security exams are based on ASA and PIX version 7.0. I only have a PIX 501 available to study with.

Thanks

Andy

6 Replies 6

jwalker
Level 3
Level 3

The PIX 501 and 506E will never be upgradable to 7.X. They have no way of increasing memory to accommodate the new OS's requirements. However, Cisco will be coming out soon (if it isn't already available) with the ASA 5505. This is the base version of the ASA. See this link for details/specs on it...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

If this helps, please rate. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

When PIX software verions 7 was first released I remember reading that version 7 would be made available for 501 and 506 devices at a later date. Is this now not the case?

I don't think this is likely because they are putting out a product that replaces those two. Additionally, those PIXs cannot be upgraded to 64MB which is necessary to run 7.X.

Thanks again for the reply. However I do specifically remember reading that version 7.x would be available for the 501 and 506. I assumed they would slim down the memory footprint requirements so it would run within these devices limited memory space. I'll ask Cisco directly.

Thanks

Andy

Yes, I remember this also. In fact at Networkers 2005, a Cisco employee told a session I was in that 7.x would be available in 2005q4 or 2006q1. Still waiting...I'm guessing "they" gave up.

brandonwarner
Level 1
Level 1

7.0.x will run on a PIX506e without PDM/ASDM that has 64MB of memory and may run on one with 32MB, I haven't tried it with only 32MB but I know an ISP that has stated it works. 7.2.x will not however as it is too big for flash. The catch is it probably is not supported, at least not that I know of. If your just using it for home testing, it has worked great for me!

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card