cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 w/10-100 4-port switch built-in? Can't Config individual ports?

scotthale
Level 1
Level 1

So, if the 4 ports are a 10-100 switch:

1. Why are all 4 ports "seen" as a single interface/port? What

if I want to shutdown access to 3 of the 4 ports?

2. Why does the OS say the 4-port interface can only be set to

10 Mbps full-duplex? Why not be able to config on a port-by-port basis?

Some clarification on these questions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

3 Replies 3

smcgough
Level 1
Level 1

I believe it just does dhcp.

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

an answer to you first question. Imagine you have a pix with one outside interface and one inside interface and a 4-port switch connected to this inside interface. This pix 501 puts this together in the same device.

This also answers your second question, you can only configure the 'virtual' inside interface of the pix. The real physical inside interface is provided by a fast ethernet 10/100 switch.

Kind Regards,

Tom

mark.english
Level 1
Level 1

Scotthale-

The Pix501 only has two interfaces; Interface0;Interface1. Interface0 being the outside interface and Interface1 being the inside interface. Interface1 is comprised of the 4 port switch. The switch is not managed except for the interface so you get an auto config negotiation for each port.

The Pix 501 wasn't desinged like the Pix 520 which you can have more then two interfaces. If you really need to accomplish control of more then two ports (like for a DMZ) then you will need a higher pix model.

I'm sure Cisco could better ansewer the design rational behind the PIX 501.

I hope the information provided helped.

Sincerely-

Mark English

englishm@charter.net

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card