Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

pix 506 or 501 and time service

with the pix I think you can connect to a time server and have the pix synchronize with the internet or the pix can act a time server not sure about the second part. ... I am testing a w2003 server enviroment.... what is the best way to have the domain controller to get atomic time by connecting to the firewall time or connecting to the internet... What ever is the best way to get time? Any suggestions or links to perform this would be appreciated.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: pix 506 or 501 and time service

I think 2003 is both a real ntp server, as well as a sntp server. MS has always supported domain members (servers, and client pcs) syncing time against domain controllers, and 2000 introduced sntp, but that is not enough for real ntp.

Try to get 2003 configured to sync against a publically available ntp server (or buy a hardware clock device), and then config the pix to hit it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262680

investigate LEVEL 2 time servers - it is poor internet behaviour to sync against a level 1 time server. most l1 servers have restricted access anyhow

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content